- Is mum driving too fast - the police will book her; she will have an accident
- Oncoming traffic - what if the other drivers lose control and crash into us; other cars causing an accident
- Vehicle safety - what if our tyres blow out; what if the car breaks down/overheats
- Raining - I can't see properly, so mum can't either; the road is slippery - we might skid out of control
- Stopping suddenly - what if my seatbelt breaks - would I go through the windscreen
So if your child seems overly apprehensive examine what they/you are doing from a "worst-case" scenario and use your "Autism Detective" skills to try and work out the problem. Ask your Autism child a few out-there questions and listen to their response. e.g. Does it bother you when we have to stop suddenly in the car? You might be surprised at their answer.